Friday, September 16, 2011

Sept 13th, 2011

Now this week’s letter:
We are allotted an hour each week to spend on the computer to respond to emails. Everything is great here in Champaign, Illinois. We live in the basement of an elderly couple in the ward, Brother and Sister McKonkie. They're so good to us and are always making sure we're doing ok. There are only two of us living there, Sister Shutt and myself. Its kind of nice how its set up; we get full range of the downstairs, and then on P-days they let us use their washer and dryer. We don't do a lot of cooking in our little home. We have a hot plate, microwave, a sink and two small fridges. The nice thing is we really only prepare breakfast and lunch. The ward is really good about feeding us. I think we've eaten out at member’s home close to every night since we've been here. I have not purchased a bike yet. They take really good of the sisters in this area, so practically every area is a walking mission. Although Sister Shutt and I are thinking we're going to plan a few days each week where we don't use are car, giving us the opportunity to walk more. We had a car fast last Saturday. Our ZL's asked us last district meeting to not use our cars on Saturday. We're only allotted so many miles each month and when we go over that amount we try and cut back the following month. That was a long day, especially because we don't know the area very well. Half the time I felt like we were walking in circles. We were pretty exhausted at the end of the day.

Our mission president has asked us to mainly focus on the less actives and the recent converts in the area so we haven't gone out and performed any proselyting work. I'm surprised at how long the LA/RC list is. There are a lot of people who don't come to church. The people here are mostly very friendly. If they're not interested they'll let you come in and will talk with you, but then nicely tell us they're no longer interested. We don't let this bother us, and ask still ask them if it’s ok if we stop by again just to say hi and see how there doing, most of the time they're fine with that.

Being here and living in this area has turned into a real humbling experience. I've been so blessed to grow up in an area where I was surrounded by many family members and friends. Not to mention growing up in an area where the church is very strong. There is a lot of hardship here. Kids grow up way too fast and many times with out both sets of parents. The family unit is truly under attack, and it just breaks my heart.
This morning sister shutt and I volunteered at a local soup kitchen (something we plan on doing each Tuesday) and, as I was serving and passing out food all I could think was that these people are children of God. And they don't even know it. I wanted to help them somehow. I wanted to do more than just serve up spaghetti. What made it an even more humbling experience was when two 4-6 year old kids came through the line with the parent(s). After seeing that I don't think I'll ever complain again.

Currently we have one progressing investigator. His name is Demian and he was working with the two previous sisters. We've met with him three times in the last week. He reads the BOM and has been praying to know if it’s true but he has a problem with Joseph Smith. He doesn't understand/believe that God the Father would show himself to Joseph. Demain knows the Bible better than I do. Demain’s smart, he loves learning and he loves asking really deep questions. I'm always taken back at how deep and heart felt these questions are. But I think that's one of his problems. He asks too much, and doesn't let his feelings mainly the spirit guide him. When we met last we talked more about the Holy Ghost and having Faith. We challenged him to read Alma 34 and next time we meet I think we'll ask him to read Alma 32.

I love being out here and being around these amazing people. I have already felt my testimony grow these last couple of days. Thank you for your prayers and your love. I don't think I could do this with out you all. Please continue to pray that the Lord will humble his people and that they will be more receptive to the spirit.

This church is true! It is the only way back to our Father in Heaven. I know that God lives, that Jesus Christ is my Savior and that He atoned for the sins of the world. I am thankful for the atonement and the opportunity to have second chances. The Lord is very much aware of us.

Love sister Salmon

No comments:

Post a Comment