Monday, October 31, 2011

October 31,2011 Halloween Email

Looking good there mom and dad! We had our ward’s Halloween party on Friday. It was a Chili cook off and corn bread. Super good! We also had a good turn out of members and non-members alike. One of the non-members that we've been working with was a butterfly, but her wings didn't fit so I wore them all night. I got a lot of compliments and took a few pictures so I'll have to send them to you.

This last week sister Shutt and I went down to St. Louis for a training and leadership meeting. There were some really good messages shared. Sister Clark talked about how our mission is like a caravan and some missionaries aren't on board. I guess there is a bit of a problem with missionaries piling out (slacking off). Then President Clark spoke. He talked about the responsibilities of the trainer and the trainee and how we each have a responsibility for each others spiritual growth. Everyone was also super excited because we were able to see all our friends in the mission. I was able to see all my elders from the district, we had a good laugh. Then that night because sister Shutt had leadership training the next day, many of us stayed over in the mission home. The elders were downstairs and the sisters were upstairs on the third level, except for Sister Shutt and I who volunteered to sleep on the first floor. We were one bed short for the sisters so I volunteered to sleep on the coach. And then Sister Shutt came down and slept on the coach adjacent, sight and sound. So that was Tuesday. Wednesday was leadership training, and I wasn't invited to that, so all the greenies and newer missionaries were paired with other missionaries in the area who didn't go to the meeting. I went off with three other sisters to St. Charles in Missouri. From there we split off into companions and tried to find people. I was lucky enough to be paired up with a green greenie. She hadn't been out for a week yet and at one house had a panic attack on me. We worked through it and were fine the rest of the day. Because we went down to St. Louis and then drove the Pittsfield sisters home we went over our miles for the month. We talked to the AP's and our Zl's about it and they seemed okay with everything. But because we don't want to go way over we've been doing a lot of walking and calling people to get rides. Today's the last day of the month thank goodness, and although it's fun to walk, at times it’s more convenient to ride.

Saturday when we were out walking we were on our way to visit a less active and stopped at a garage sale. We tinkered around a bit, Sister Shutt ended up purchasing some old antique looking earrings, but the best part is we had this amazing discussion with the lady who was hosting the garage sale. She has a friend who is a member and so has a positive image of the church. We gave her a Book of Mormon and we were invited to drop by again.

Sunday was our primary program, which is probably one of my favorite Sundays of the year next to Christmas Sunday. During the last two songs one little girl decided to crescendo (yell) the last few verses. One of the songs was praise to the man which I thought was perfect. It added great emphasis of the importance of this great man and then another song which I can't remember. It was cute during the last song when she was singing; the little boy next to her had his fingers in his ears and was giving her this look like "you're crazy!"

Today because it’s Halloween the president has asked that we all be in by 7pm. Pretty much, he doesn't want us outside proselyting, which makes sense. Halloween is very different then back home. People out here love this holiday. They're houses are fully decorated, some of them kind of creepily. I don't know how many people actually go out and trick or treat. Many of the churches out here do trunk r treating at their church. I don't think it's very safe to participate in trick or treating out here, too many crazies on the street. But don't worry, we're safe and being careful.


Answers to my questions:

Yes I’m still the ping pong champ. We went to Shawnees trunk r treat party at her church yesterday and have set up another app. for tomorrow. I think it will be really great. As for Kathy, she hasn't quit smoking yet. She really wants to though. We've continue to meet with her and her grandson and his two friends. They've turned into two of our new investigators which is cool.

We've started this new thing to help us achieve our Baptismal goal for the month and that is that we will be fasting as a mission every Sunday for the rest of the year. Yesterday was our first day and I think it went really well. I know that miracles do happen when we put forth the effort. There are many people who are ready to hear the gospel, now it’s our job to find them.

Well I think that's all-until next time.
All my love,
Sister Salmon

No comments:

Post a Comment